Saturday, November 28, 2009

Pass the peas, please


Thanks to a certain smooth criminal, I recently acquired a new tablecloth and napkins. This inspired me to set the table. The table is set for four, even though tonight's dinner plans are for a party of three. I've requested that the third party bring a guest, so that we might use my table settings as there are.


Growing up, my brother and I would fight to the death over the honor of setting the dinner table. I usually won because I was older. Also, I was better at it. This set-up is a little ornate for me, but it's autumn, and the world is densely colored and cluttered.


And yes, those are Little Black Dress water glasses.

Tonight's menu: salad and french fries.
(Health-wise, these two dishes cancel each other out. It's true!!!)

I played with making oven fries a couple weeks ago and they were superb. I got about 2 pounds of mixed finger-sized potatoes from the potato guy at the Union Square Green Market. They were all different colors, and when cut into strips and roasted with just a little olive oil and salt, they were not only amazingly tasty but quite beautiful. I set the oven at around 400 degrees, but think I'll turn it down a bit this time. Put out ketchup and dijon mustard for dipping.

And for the salad? We'll just have to see what hits us when we're at the market. Pears will be involved. For sure.

We'll grab a baguette from Bread Alone, maybe splurge on some nice cheese, stop by the Trader Joe's Wine Shop on our way home...
Et voilá! Dinner.

Bon Apétit!

And one final request:
In the words of my mother circa 1995
"Eat with the table manners you would use if you were having dinner with President Clinton."

4 comments:

  1. Did you par-boil the potato strips first? Or were they too thin? The par-boiling gives the most wonderful creamy inner texture if you haven't done it before.

    Delish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I knew to do that! The potatoes tonight were.. addictive. But alas, they were very very crunchy and could have probably benefited from a "creamy inner texture." Next time I will be sure to incorporate your advice! Better yet, I cordially invite you and Virginia (and I GUESS Jonah can come if he's around...) to come over to my house when you're New York-centric to cook dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't mean the 'creamy inner texture' to sound quite so seedy! Never mind, dinner sounds wonderful. Off to DC in the morning, but will be back in NY in a few weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so proud of you, honey. You set a gorgeous table, and I'm still dreaming of your moules. xo Mom

    ReplyDelete