Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Birthdays

I always wake up before the sun rises on my birthday.  This morning, my eyes miraculously opened at 4:30am, ready to seize the day and a new year.  It's not yet 7am and I've already downed two cups of coffee and watched last night's episode of Gossip Girl (guilty pleasure)

To be perfectly honest, I spend much of the daylight hours of my birthday in tears.  They're not out of sadness or regret.  They are inexplicable tears.  Just.. water. I don't care much for Hallmark holidays, but there's just something about a rite of passage that hits home.

In true Captain Kitchen fashion, I am making myself a cocktail party this evening at my house, for which I will spend the morning and early afternoon hustling and bustling about the City, picking up groceries. Last year I made a full-on dinner party, five courses - it was a rainy, cold, windy day; the moment I exited the subway my umbrella flipped inside out and broke, and I trudged around the City like a drowned, dejected rat. Dinner was fantastic, and more than made up for my less-than-joyous day.

Today, however, is crisp and clear, the perfect spring day.  

Tonight's menu of hors d'oeuvres is inspired by Martha Stewart's 1984 menu book on the subject.  I made sure it included my favorite foods, making for a slightly incoherent, slightly cheesy spread:
  • Cold blanched haricot verts with a dip/dressing tbd (grainy mustard, tarragon, white vinegar?)
  • Small savory crépes with goat cheese, homemade roasted red peppers and (maybe?) wilted spinach, (balsamic reduction? - too much?)
  • Homemade guacamole and salsa with tortilla chips
  • French fries with ketchup and dijon mustard for dipping
  • Cucumber rounds with smoked salmon mousse and a garnish of scallions 
  • Cheese and crackers, grapes, olives
  • Individual strawberry shortcakes c/o Mom
  • Chocolate-dipped strawberries
Subject to change upon going to the market, but no less a good start.  
The Wife (a.k.a., my best friend since I was 15) is bringing the Beefeater for martinis early (she's a good wife). The DKNY dress I tried on and died over two months ago, and which I broke down and bought on sale (!!) at Bloomingdale's yesterday is pressed and ready. The pink peonies in my living room are wide open and ready for company.  

From behind my surreptitious tears, I'm looking forward to a lovely birthday.  

No comments:

Post a Comment